MultiBit is a lightweight "thin client" Bitcoin wallet for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux based on bitcoin. Its main advantages over the original Bitcoin client include support for opening multiple wallets simultaneously, and not requiring the download of the entire multi-gigabyte blockchain (2.6 GB as of July 2012). The project is lead by UK developer Jim Burton.
- Multiple wallets can be open at the same time
- Synchronizes with the network in minutes
- Shows the last BTC <--> USD rate from VirtEx and other exchanges
- Import and export your private keys
- Chart of your balance over the last 30 days
- Free and open source (MIT license)
- Localized in a variety of languages
MultiBit was announced on September 12, 2011.
- Thin Client Security
- MultiBit project website
- YouTube channel with "getting started" screencast